Motor Vehicle Titles and Registration
The Ouray County Clerk and Recorder's office conducts titling and registration for motor vehicles. For all motor vehicle transactions (including RVs, mobile homes, and trailers) please remember to bring in a valid photo identification, proof of insurance, method of payment (cash, check or credit card), and other applicable paperwork. Please note that the State of Colorado applies a 2.7% administration fee on all transactions using a credit card or debit card.
Ouray County residents can obtain or renew Colorado Driver's Licenses at the Montrose DMV Office. The Ouray County Clerk's Office does not issue Driver's Licenses at this time. Click here for more information and resources regarding Driver / ID Services.
Registration, Plates, Tabs and Disability Placards:
- Colorado Department of Revenue: Motor Vehicles offers online resources for:
- Online renewal of Vehicle Registration
- Estimate Registration Fees
- Request a duplicate title or registration card
- Add/change a vehicle address
- Replace Tabs
- Request license plates (standard green and white, specialty plates, or vanity license plates)
- Apply for a Disability Placard
- Tips for Completing a Colorado Title
- Motor Vehicle License Plates
How COVID-19 Affects Vehicle Services:
- Offices Closed to Public Access: With many County offices closing to public access, many are wondering what to do about registering their vehicles or renewing their tags. First, vehicles must be registered in the county where you live. You cannot go to a different county to register your vehicle. Ouray County continues to offer services to the public through phone, email, dropbox and mail.
- Dealership Purchases: Customers who purchased vehicles at a dealership may obtain another temporary permit from the dealership.
- Unable to Renew Online: If you are unable to renew / register (including completing an emissions test) a vehicle, please complete a registration extension form. Please note that the Clerk's office does not have the authority to waive emissions.
- Temporary Vehicle Registration Late-Fee Waivers- Effective immediately, the State is permitting counties to waive late fees for vehicle registration and renewals. This is in effect for the period of the Governor's Emergency Declaration, plus 60 days. Customers are encouraged to use online services to complete transactions.
- Fleet Vehicle Registration- For issues with a fleet vehicle registration, please contact the Vehicle Services Section at (303) 205-5608.
Ouray County offers two "dropbox" locations for residents to drop-off vehicle registration renewals and correspondence/payments for all other County Departments.
- Ouray City Hall, near the flagpole - 320 6th Avenue, Ouray, CO
- Ouray County 4-H Event Center - 22739 Highway 550, Ridgway, CO