Courthouse Renovation Project
Notice of Public Meeting:
Ouray County Courthouse Restoration and New Construction
Project Review of DRAFT Exterior Architectural Renderings and Request for Input
Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:30PM, Ouray County Courthouse 541 4th Street
- The Ouray County Courthouse was completed in December 1888 for the sum of $22,336. Before the Courthouse was deemed officially completed, an additional $13,000 was needed to install heating and furnishings. Most of the furnishings are still in use in the Courthouse, including desks, safes, and vaults. The Courthouse is listed as a National Historic Structure under the umbrella of the Ouray Historic District on the State of Colorado Registry (History Colorado).
- The Ouray County Courthouse features richly decorative detailing common with Italianate, Romanesque, Queen Anne, and early Classical Revival architecture popular in the late 1800s.
- The Courthouse has a rich and storied history, including being featured in the 1969 John Wayne Film "True Grit". In 2016, the Courthouse was profiled by the PBS docuseries "Colorado Experience: Courthouses." The Episode can be viewed here.
- In November 2017, Ouray County voters approved a temporary .55% sales tax increase for the funding of the Ouray County Courthouse Restoration and Construction project. Offices are expected to relocate to a temporary location in Summer 2018.
- In 2016 a Feasibility Study and Courthouse Master Plan were developed in order to address the existing critical elements of the Courthouse that are in desperate need of repair. Most notably, the Feasibility Study states that the Historical "Courthouse and Jail Building do not meet current life safety codes, specifically with regard to fire protection... Decades of water and moisture infiltration at the perimeter of the building and into the below-grade space have created deterioration of mortar within the structural foundation. The existing piping for domestic water as waste appear to have surpassed its useful life and needs replacement. The net result is that this jewel of a building with one of the strongest ties to Ouray County's past is in danger of becoming unfit for occupancy unless action is taken."
- Renovations and repairs include: foundation systems improvements; mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems replacements; exterior site work; drainage mitigation and water damage repair; interior repair for all three levels including wood, windows, and doors cornice and cupola, exterior brick restoration; sidewalk and landscape improvements; enhanced ADA compliance, and west (main) entrance porch rebuild.
Renovation and New Construction Project Documents
- AIA Agreement for Architectural Services with Charles Cunniffe Architects, P.C.
- Feasibility Study and Courthouse Master Plan
- Courthouse Historic Structure Assessment & Restoration Plan - 2001 update
- GM/GC Request for Qualifications / Request for Proposal
How to Support the Courthouse Renovation Project:
Follow along! Each month the County will release a newsletter with project updates, news, and other fun facts. Project Updates is also available on the Ouray County Courthouse Restoration and New Construction Project Facebook Page.