Courthouse Renovation Project
- The Ouray County Courthouse was completed in December 1888 for the sum of $22,336. Before the Courthouse was deemed officially completed, an additional $13,000 was needed to install heating and furnishings. Most of the furnishings are still in use in the Courthouse, including desks, safes, and vaults. The Courthouse is listed as a National Historic Structure under the umbrella of the Ouray Historic District on the State of Colorado Registry (History Colorado).
- The Ouray County Courthouse features richly decorative detailing common with Italianate, Romanesque, Queen Anne, and early Classical Revival architecture popular in the late 1800s.
- The Courthouse has a rich and storied history, including being featured in the 1969 John Wayne Film "True Grit". In 2016, the Courthouse was profiled by the PBS docuseries "Colorado Experience: Courthouses." The Episode can be viewed here.
- In November 2017, Ouray County voters approved a temporary .55% sales tax increase for the funding of the Ouray County Courthouse Restoration and Construction project.
- During the summer of 2018, all Courthouse offices relocated to temporary locations. A general contractor, FCI Constructors, Inc, was hired through a request for proposal process, and began working with Charles Cunnife Architects to finalize building plans and pricing. Construction will begin in November 2018.
- Renovations and repairs include: foundation systems improvements; mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems replacements; exterior site work; drainage mitigation and water damage repair; interior repair for all three levels including wood, windows, and doors cornice and cupola, exterior brick restoration; sidewalk and landscape improvements; enhanced ADA compliance, and west (main) entrance porch rebuild. Click here to view the Feasibility Study and Courthouse Master Plan.
Renovation and New Construction Project Documents
- AIA Agreement for Architectural Services with Charles Cunniffe Architects, P.C.
- Feasibility Study and Courthouse Master Plan
- Courthouse Historic Structure Assessment & Restoration Plan - 2001 update
- 60% Design Development Plans