High Country Development and Regulations
- On April 12, 2016, the Ouray County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) held a work session to discuss development on patented mining claims the South Alpine Zone (areas South of the City of Ouray). After the work session during a regular meeting on April 19, 2016, the Board deliberated and ultimately passed (2 supporting Commissioners supporting, 1 Commissioner opposing) Resolution 2016-017 establishing a temporary moratorium on residential development on patented mining claims and mill sites at or higher than 9,500'. The moratorium was established from April 19, 2016 through October 19, 2016.
- The Commissioners subsequently passed a companion Resolution 2016-018 directing the Planning Commission (PC) to recommend revision to the Ouray County Land Use Code regarding High Alpine residential development on patented mining claims and mill sites in the high country. Resolution 2016-018 included an "Exhibit A" with specific questions and direction to the Planning Commission regarding the scope of the project. Shortly after, a joint meeting between the BOCC and PC was held in order for the two groups to ask questions and direction regarding the project. The Board directed PC and staff to begin developing regulations using San Juan and San Miguel County's Land Use Codes as a resource.
- Ouray County BOCC and PC have previously debated this topic in 2009, and it resulted in the BOCC rejecting proposed regulations, enumerated as "Section 30." The BOCC has directed the PC to use the rejected draft of Section 30 in only very specific circumstances.
- June 7, 5:00PM - 8:00PM- Planning Commission Work Session: High Alpine Regulations (review questions)
- June 15 1:00PM - 4:00PM- (NOTE: THIS MEETING HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE 4-H EVENT CENTER) Planning Commission Work Session: High Alpine Regulations (review questions)
- June 21 5:00PM - 8:00PM- Planning Commission Work Session: High Alpine Regulations
- July 6 6:00PM - 8:00PM- Planning Commission Work Session: High Alpine Regulations (Final review of draft)
- July 19 7:00PM Planning Commission Public Hearing: High Alpine Regulations
- Note: At the July 19th Planning Commission Public Hearing, the Planning Commission unanimously voted to approve the regulations.
- September 13, 6:00PM at Ouray Community Center- Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing
- September 22, 5:00PM at Ouray COunty 4-H Event Center - Board of County Commissioners CONTINUED Public Hearing.
- No additional public comment will be taken at the September 22 continuation.
- October 6, 5:00PM at Ouray County 4-H Event Center - Board of County Commissioners CONTINUED Public Hearing
- No additional public comment will be taken at the October 6 contnuation
**Please note, all dates, times and locations are subject to change. Please check the most recent Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners Agendas for the most up-to-date information**
Board of County Commissioners Documents
- Section 30 Draft - REJECTED
- July 27, 2009 Town Hall Minutes - Joint Meeting of the PC and BOCC regarding proposed high country regulations
- Resolution 2009-040 Withdrawal of Proposed Section 30 Draft Regulations
- August 24, 2009 BOCC Minutes - Consideration of Resolution 2009-040
- April 2016 Memo from the County Attorney regarding High Alpine Development and Regulations
- Resolution 2016-017 Moratorium on Residential Development on Mining Claims in the Unincorporated Areas of Ouray County
- April 19, 2016 BOCC Minutes - Consideration of Resolution 2016-017
- Resolution 2016-018 Requesting the Planning Commission to Address High Alpine Development
- April 26, 2016 BOCC Minutes - Consideration of Resolution 2016-018
- Staff responses to BOCC Questions regarding High Alpine Development
- September 13, 2016 BOCC Public Hearing Packet
- September 22, 2016 BOCC Public Hearing Continuation
- October 6, 2016 BOCC Public Hearing Continuation
The Board determined that no additional public comment will be taken for the October 6, 2016 Public Hearing Continuation. Please direct questions to Hannah Hollenbeck, Deputy Clerk of the Board at (970) 325-7320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- High Alpine Areas Map - May 16, 2016 DRAFT
- San Juan County Regulations
- San Miguel County Regulations
- May 3, 2016 PC Packet - First presentation of BOCC direction to PC
- June 7, 2016 PC Packet - High Alpine Regulations Work Session Packet
- Xcel Spreadsheet with all mining claims above 9500'
- PDF Spreadsheet with all mining claims above 9500'
- June 15, 2016 PC Packet - High Alpine Regulations Work Session Packet
- June 21, 2016 Packet - High Alpine Regulations Work Session Packet (includes 1st draft of proposed regulations).
- Planning Commission Report for 7/6/16 Workshop
- July 6, 2016 PC Packet - High Alpine Regulations Work Session Packet (includes 2nd draft of proposed regulations)
- July 19, 2016 PC Packet - High Alpine Development Regulations Public Hearing