Controlled Burn Notices

Planned and Controlled Burn Notices for Ouray County
  • April 19-22- BLM controlled burn in Sims Mesa starting at 10:00AM. A total of 300 acres will be burned. Smoke will be visible from Highway 550. 
  • April 20- Double RL burning brush piles - Highway 62
If you wish to file an Open Burn Permit, please call Montrose County Dispatch non-emergency line at (970) 252-4020. Dispatch will then contact the Ouray County Sheriff's Department (970-325-7272). A Wireless Emergency Notification System (WENS) notice will be sent out to all subscribers. Properly reporting planned and controlled burns helps mitigate the number of non-emergency calls to the Sheriff's Department and emergency dispatch lines. 

**You can opt-in to the "Controlled Burns" Wireless Emergency Notification System (WENS) by emailing Glenn Boyd ( AFTER you sign-up for WENS. You can sign-up here. **